From my personal experience, suffering has:
- Given me a clearer image of Who God is
- Made me less selfish
- Made me less self-righteous
- Strengthened me spiritually and emotionally
- Made me more sensitive to problems of others
- Made me more grateful
I can still be self-righteous, self-centered, emotionally and spiritually weak, insensitive to the problems of others, and ungrateful. But suffering has improved me and continues to do so.
My heart breaks over things that have happened in my life, but I can truly say that I thank God for the growth that has come through these painful experiences.
"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11
Thank-you, Father, for growth through suffering (Hebrews 12:1-12).
* When God Doesn't Make Sense