Thursday

Inconvenience

Being grateful for our blessings, Being aware that we are blessed, 1 Thessalonians 5:18
In the States, I have it easy with a modern washer and dryer.

Hungarians have modern conveniences too, but this trip our flat has a "retro" washer, requiring a separate spinner machine before we dry clothes on a rack.

But I still have it easy compared to my friend's 85-year-old neighbor who washes her clothes on a washboard and has no elevator to her sixth floor flat.

Although it's apparently a myth that Marie Antoinette said "Let them eat cake" when she heard the peasants had no bread, it's none-the-less a good analogy for how out of touch with reality many of us have become. 

I'm praying I'll begin to realize the difference between necessities and luxuries. I want to be grateful for things I take for granted. Can I pray for you too?


"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:18



1 comment:

  1. If M.A. said that then it probably wasn't a cruelty, it was likely because she was so far removed and sheltered from the needs of the desperately poor people. I sometimes think that I, too, am so far removed from actual suffering that I don't have a clue what "real life" is like for impoverished people. I am in my comfy house with modern conveniences and I am more often likely to think about what I DON'T have than what I DO have. Perhaps the things that bring me ease have not been blessings, but trappings for an ungrateful heart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...