Thursday

Pause and Listen

Acts 8:30–31, Philip and the Eunuch, Ask good questions when you evangelize
I realized the preacher was unfamiliar with translation because he rarely paused to let the translator speak. 

I've done this same thing in personal conversations more than I'd like to admit. 

You know what I mean--you want to share Christ, so you start your little spiel without pausing to discern the needs, backgrounds and questions of your listener.

Good preaching with translation involves pausing to listen, and good personal witnessing involves the same. 

In fact, in personal conversations, it's often best to start with questions instead of answers, to know where our listener is spiritually.

"Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. 'Do you understand what you are reading?' Philip asked. 'How can I,' he said, 'unless someone explains it to me?' So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him." 
Acts 8:30–31 

God prepares hearts. When we pause, listen and ask good questions, we're often invited to share.

To read more 1-minute devotions on sharing Christ, click HERE.






4 comments:

  1. Gail, this is such a great reminder....thank you. I am asking God to somehow give you an idea of how your Bible Love Notes impact your readers on a daily basis. He is using you, dear friend, to make a big difference in the lives of those who seek to honor Him! Thank you for investing your time, talents, faith, creativity, and prayers into this wonderful ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail! I hope you are having a wonderful time in your travels!

    This is a great reminder, as Kim said. I often barge on ahead and talk and talk. I don't wait for others to chime in. It's probably the same in prayer. Talk, talk, talk. But God wants me to give him a chance to fill me with his wisdom. He wants to 'translate' my day, and his word. I need to listen!
    Blessings, Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on spot! Thank you for talking about a problem that is common but not spoken about enough! I pray The Lord give you more wisdom and revelation to share with the Body of Christ! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words, Sister Anne.
      : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...