Friday

Language Training

Bible, growth in Christ
My Croatian friend said she was sad that many American TV programs are now dubbed instead of having Croatian subtitles. 

"Why don't you want the actors speaking Croatian?" I asked.

"How will we learn and practice our English?" 

I wondered how much I would complain if I had to read subtitles for 90% of what I watch. Like most Americans, I've put little effort into language learning. 

But the most critical language we learn and the worst to neglect is "the language of God."

"We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again." Hebrews 4:11-12

Even if we are not fluent in a foreign language, let's study so we're fluent in God's Word. And when we need help understanding, let's ask our Divine Translator for help.

3 comments:

  1. I love your analogy here! Yes, we want to get so thoroughly comfortable with God's Word that it comes out our mouths without our even really needing to work at it! Thanks for hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail! Oh boy, that last quote from Scripture sucker-punched me for sure. Yikes. I think with all the praying and desire, I should be a 'teacher' of some sort by now. But I am so stubbornly holding on to kindergarten.

    Great word today for me. Time to graduate to 1st Grade!
    Blessings :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child, I've sat through many church services without understanding a word. People overseas are so much more motivated to learn English than we are to learn another language. What a good comparison. We let other things take the time we ought to spend with God. I am careful not to do this anymore, yet, that doesn't mean that once the sun is up it isn't very hard to give the Lord a place and time to spend with Him.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...