Don't Keep This Kind of List

List-keeping....it can be a good thing or an evil thing depending on the kind of list you keep. This 1-minute devotion explains. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible


List-keeping is a method I use to stay organized. But not all lists are healthy.

For example: lists that record other people's sins, bitter memories, or past offenses.

Some people keep lists of offenses dating back several decades. Others keep petty lists of offenses they could easily overlook. 

Recently, the Lord lovingly convicted me of such a list. 

I realized that whenever a certain person came to mind, I began to review my list. I was becoming a very “organized” bitter person, allowing a bitter root to grow in my heart.

I’ve repented of that list and started a new list—a list of Scriptures to recite whenever that person comes to mind. 

The first thing on that list:

“See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.” Hebrews 12:15

Do you have any bitter lists? Ask God to help you toss them out today and start a new list containing some of the Scriptures below.

Some offenses need to be overlooked and forgiven:

Proverbs 19:11: A person's wisdom yields patience; it is to one's glory to overlook an offense. 

If you are constantly finding fault with another person, perhaps the problem is yours, not theirs. It will help if you start concentrating on the good qualities possessed by that person and making sure you don't have a log in your eye:

Philippians 4:8: Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Matthew 7:1-5: ...Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Some offenses need to be reconciled:

Matthew 18:15: If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.

All offenses need to be genuinely forgiven:

Colossians 3:13: Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.



Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

Not all lists are good lists. Some can be deadly.

Bible Love Notes

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gail, this is so true. I too am a list maker and will be watching myself more carefully to make sure my lists are positive and not bitter. Great practical reminder
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I too am a list maker. I do try to be mindful not to keep lists in my head that harbor bitterness and this is a lovely reminder to be intentional about it.
    -Gilded Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a list maker but I learned a long time ago not to make this kind of list. Sometimes though, I can make one in my mind...I am trying to remember to think of Philippians 4:8 to replace negative thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I do the same thing in my head too often. I will memorize this scripture and endeavor to make it the only thing on my list.

    ReplyDelete