Wednesday

10 Reasons Why Complaining is Toxic

10 reasons complaining is toxic, complaining, Philippians 2:14-16
Complaining is harmful to body and soul...

Sometimes I enjoy a “good complain.”

You know, a little commiserating, self-pity, critical whining. 

But a “good complain” isn't really good.
 
One author offers 10 reasons why complaining is "toxic," especially in a group:
1. It makes things look worse
2. It becomes habit
3. It skews our focus
4. It causes competitive complaining (increasing complaining in others)
5. It makes people despondent
6. It kills creativity
7. It rewards negative people
8. It promotes bad relationships
9. It creates complaining companions and cliques
10. It leads to pessimism *

True! True!

No wonder God tells us:
“Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people."                               Philippians 2:14-16 (NLT)

Dear Lord, help us stop whining and start shining.
copyright Gail Burton Purath
* Adapted from Top 10 reasons why constant complaining is so toxic in the workplace

10 reasons complaining is toxic

Would you like to subscribe to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes?
For free email delivery enter your email address and validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox:


FeedBurner

8 comments:

  1. OH my gosh!!! I love this!! I think I am going to have to create a printable of
    Dear Lord, help ME to stop whining and start shining.!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I tell my hubby all the time,GOD doesn't like complaining & self-pity! I used to b horrible with it,I'm working on it each day! Great devotion!!

      Delete
  2. Wow Gail, this is excellent. I'm going to be saving this to go through again. Especially point 2, it becomes a habit, ouch! Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very good! I have a teen son whose humor can take on a complaining tone and I have wanted to talk with him about it. This helps me in addressing it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Do all things without complaining" - oh, you so got me there. I don't complain "much" just over things that really hurt - but I need to close my mouth on those things. Perfect message for this bloggers imperfect moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read Jerry Bridge's Respectable Sins? I was so convicted when he talked about complaining. His point was that when we complain we are really questioning God for putting us in the situation and giving us those particular circumstances. Ouch.

    Elizabeth@Warrior Wives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it, Elizabeth, but I will look for it. I enjoy Bridge's writing even though it often has an "ouch" factor.

      Delete
  6. I know this is an old post, but it was so needed this week dealing with a difficult to get along with neighbour. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...