Tuesday

Patient Perspective

Patience, Marriage, Perspective
The woman bought a magazine and a pack of cookies and sat at a crowded counter in the airport cafe. 

To her disbelief, the man next to her reached for her cookies, opened the package and ate one!

Indignant, she shoved the cookies into her purse, got up and left. 

When she looked back, she couldn't believe that the man was actually smiling and shaking his head.

Thirty minutes later when her plane took off, she reached into her purse for the cookies, proud of how restrained she'd been with the cookie thief.  

But instead of one package of cookies, she found two identical packages, one opened and one unopened. 

To her horror she realized what she'd done. She'd put her cookies in her purse when she’d bought them and sat next to a man with an identical pack of his own. He hadn't eaten her cookie, he'd eaten his own. She was the cookie thief, and he was the one who'd shown incredible restraint!

As far as I know this is a fictional story…I heard it some years ago. But it illustrates a good point. 

There are times I’ve judged my husband just as this woman judged the man next to her at the counter. I’ve jumped to conclusions, not waited to get my facts straight, or simply moved forward on emotion.

Patience is important in all relationships, and we are wise if we:
  • Wait to discuss problems when both parties are rested and have the time.
  • Take time to pray before speaking.
  • Listen carefully and ask questions before jumping to conclusions.
  • Give people the benefit of the doubt when we aren’t sure what happened.
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Ephesians 4:2


Have you ever suffered from a poor perspective? Leave a comment and tell me about it. And I'd love to have you sign up for a free subscription to my 1-minute devotions. Find out more HERE.
  


12 comments:

  1. excellent! good advice about communicating with your husband. It's SO important to think and pray before we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard this one and it's so funny every time I hear/read it, Gail! And it really does drive home how easy it is to jump to conclusions based on appearances. I needed this reminder today, because I'm going into a difficult meeting where keeping a positive, non-judgmental attitude is crucial for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking up at WW, Gail! I really appreciate it, my friend!

      Delete
  3. My husband and I try to remember to ask ourselves, "Does this action typically characterize him/her?" If not, and a perceived behavior is out of character, then that's a pretty good reason for us to look a little closer. Often we discover that we have misinterpreted or jumped to a conclusion. Like when my husband went looking for his chocolate milk and assumed I had selfishly drank the last of it, when in reality, I discovered it had spoiled and poured it out to save him! Of course, there are plenty of similar stories he could tell on me with the same conclusion. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great illustrations. I definitely am guilty of accusing without the facts from time to time. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good story to re-visit - thanks for sharing! And it's so true that we need patience to make the communicating mean something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popping over from Women Living Well. I do quite like that story. Have a blessed day. Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that story, and the lesson it holds! It is a good challenge to work harder to understand before forming our conclusions. Love hopes the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! It's so easy to be judgmental with those we hold dearest, isn't it? Love this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your points at the end. I struggle with jumping to conclusions. Need to pray about that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this story and smiled (to myself) as I read it. I am so glad that I skipped up to read it on Missional Women where I shared my links a few rows down. I will keep these thoughts in my heart as the weekend begins.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...