Three Warnings

An interesting look at Luke 9 and Christ's response to 3 men who said they wanted to follow Him.

In Luke 9:57-62, three men considered following Jesus. We read their words, but Jesus read their hearts. 

1. “I will follow you wherever you go.”


This man's words were good, but Jesus reminded him to count the cost (Luke 14:25-34).
 
Jesus doesn't ask everyone to leave home and family, but following Jesus means denying our selfish goals in life (Matthew 16:24). 


2. “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”


Jesus knew that this man wasn't simply asking to bury his father, he was focusing on "dead" worldly desires. Scripture is clear - we can't pursue worldly goals and still follow Christ (1 John 2:15-17).

3. “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”


Jesus sensed this man's hesitance to follow and reminded him that half-hearted, lukewarm faith was unacceptable (Revelation 3:14-22).

I confess I sometimes have these attitudes toward my faith, but I commit (with God's help) to overcome them. Will you join me? 
--------------------

Would you like to read the entire conversation between Jesus and these men and do a short Bible study on this devotion? Then check out today's Bite Size Bible Study.
https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" or "read sample" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

Three men considered following Jesus in Luke 9:57-62, but only one was sincere. This 1-minute devotion explains.








No comments:

Post a Comment