Can You Speak God's Language?

Scriptures says there are words that only Christians understand. This 1-minute devotion encourages us to become fluent in God's "language."

Most Europeans are fluent in at least two languages, but Brits and Americans are notorious for being monolingual.  

I confess that I'm monolingual, but I'm becoming fluent in another language - the language of God.

"This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit." 1 Corinthians 2:13-14

We improve our "vocabulary" by reading God's Word, but we need our Teacher to make sure our pronunciation is correct:

"The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

Some Christians never get past "baby talk" and have to keep learning the basics over and over again (Hebrews 4:11-12). 

But God wants better from us, so let's look for ways to improve our "fluency" in God's wisdom. 

💙 Beyond 1-minute for those who want more 💙

Scriptures says there are words that only Christians understand. This 1-minute devotion encourages us to become fluent in God's "language."
Let me make some suggestions for learning "God's language."

If you can, be part of a group Bible study. Group Bible studies were an essential element in improving my "language skills" as a new Christian. And they continue to do that.

Reading God's Word daily is also important. And I suggest you try some of these ideas for individual study:

5 Ideas for Studying the Bible

5 Practical Ways to Hide God's Word in Your Heart

A Fun Word Study

A Practical Way to Deal with Specific Sins




Scriptures says there are words that only Christians understand. This 1-minute devotion encourages us to become fluent in God's "language."



Bible Love Notes

4 comments:

  1. I love your analogy here! Yes, we want to get so thoroughly comfortable with God's Word that it comes out our mouths without our even really needing to work at it! Thanks for hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail! Oh boy, that last quote from Scripture sucker-punched me for sure. Yikes. I think with all the praying and desire, I should be a 'teacher' of some sort by now. But I am so stubbornly holding on to kindergarten.

    Great word today for me. Time to graduate to 1st Grade!
    Blessings :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child, I've sat through many church services without understanding a word. People overseas are so much more motivated to learn English than we are to learn another language. What a good comparison. We let other things take the time we ought to spend with God. I am careful not to do this anymore, yet, that doesn't mean that once the sun is up it isn't very hard to give the Lord a place and time to spend with Him.

    ReplyDelete