Friday

Self-Control in an Out-of-Control World

Self-control is the ♥heart♥ of  worthwhile pursuits in life.

It's that character quality that teaches us to place: 
  • needs above desires
  • others above ourselves
  • God’s kingdom above our kingdom
For example, I can clean my house when I feel like it, and it will be messy most of the time because I’m rarely going to choose cleaning bathrooms over something fun.

I need self-control to kick me off the couch...turn off the TV...make me turn off the computer...get me up when I'd rather stay in bed.

Self-control is a key ingredient in the character of everyone who successfully keeps a house, stays in shape, serves well in ministry, is a good employee, a good parent or good spouse.

It’s an important step in living a godly life (2 Peter 1:3-8). And it only grows and takes root in us as we practice it.


Are you lacking self-control in some aspect of your life?
Start practicing!
image: Michael Marcol Free Digital Images

I'm excited about next week's 1-Minute Bible Love Notes. I wrote them because of a request from one of my readers  who asked if I'd share on: "Forgiveness for what seems unpardonable by human standards." God led me to a wonderful book with many such examples and these 5 people will definitely blow your mind with the grace God gives in the midst of the worst earthly sorrows.

LISTEN to this devotion below. If you can't get the audio on Internet Explorer, try another browser. 
Subscribers need to click the link in the title and come to the Bible Love Notes site. Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. Yes I do lack self control in some areas of my life. I like chocolate a bit too much lately!! I'm not going to stop enjoying chocolate as that is not as important as staying in bed too long and missing my time with the Lord. I am going to continue working on moving myself off the bed in the morning...which means getting to bed!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great reminder Gail!
    I am thinking of sins such as lying, sexual sin, anger, stealing (shoplifting), lust. They all can be part of our past if we exercise self-control!
    I am surrounded (I work with them) by people with disabilities who many of them are slaves to their bad habits. Psychology teaches us that that is who they are and they just need to re-direct their emotions or temptations. I think we have a great God that can put these sins to death!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading your next week's topic, Judith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you said here: "And it only grows and takes root in us as we practice it." That's so true. How can we develop it or what good is it if we don't practice it and use it?

    I can definitely use more self-control. I can't exercise right now other than my PT exercises and slow walking. So I really need self-control over my snacking habits lately or I am going to grow like a balloon, lol!

    And, of course, I am not always as disciplined as I should be in regards to my quiet time with the Lord as well. Not to mention I have to be careful with my back and sometimes I do too much and then I suffer for it.

    Thank you so much for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think self-control is the most important issue that Bible always emphasize to be at right path. If we can control ourselves then we can get the right path of Jesus easily! But hour heart doesn't allow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Self control is something that needs to be continually worked on. And one ara that I ask God daily for help. It may be a constant challenge, but the end result is worth any effort it may take.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Scripture references NIV unless otherwise noted.