All That Glitters is Not Gold

1 Peter 1:3-9, refining faith, faith worth more than gold
Pure gold won't discolor and it won't attach to a magnet.

Gold alloys, on the other hand, discolor with wear and tear and attach to magnets because they're mixed with less valuable metals.

The Bible uses the refining process of gold as an analogy for the refining of our faith by the fires of adversity (1 Peter 1:3-9).

Adversity can make us shine purer and brighter or reveal that our faith is a mixture of impurities and inferior elements. Trials can make our magnetic attraction to the world weaker or stronger (1 Peter 4:1-5).

I don't like adversity; and when it comes, it always reveals weaknesses in my faith. But I'm grateful that God doesn't let my dislike for the refiners fire keep Him from plunging me into it.

What about you? Have you come to appreciate the refining fire or would you rather avoid it? In what ways has the analogy of a refining fire been relevant to your hardships? What has God shown you as He's burnt away the impurities in your faith? Leave a comment and share your insights.
How to Tell if Gold is Real
image: Free Digital Photos

7 comments:

  1. I don't anyone particularly looks forward to adversity. But speaking for myself, I know I would not be the person I am today without it. I have learned things through adversity that I would not have learned otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is true for me as well, LuAnn. During the periods of my life when everything was going pretty well, I've had a tendency to get self-righteous or self-content. I need those fires as much as I hate them! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. At first, adversity feels like I've been set adrift. Then I realize that I have to draw closer to God and He draws close to me. Once I realize that, I recognize that I am not alone in the difficulty and with God's help, will get through it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Set adrift" is a good description, Carol. Adversity often catches me off guard and confuses me for a period before I begin to recognize God's hand in it.

      Delete
  3. Just stopping by from the GRAND Social Linky Party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've certainly faced a fair (?) share of adversity of late. And yes, it's revealed my failure to "let go and let God." So. Hard.

    Thank you for participating in the GRAND Social!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, my recent adversity most certainly revealed some things.....but some of them were good too and for that I am happy to know I have grown :) Thanks for linking with me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...