Nine Times Paul Repeats this Word in His Prison Letter

In the short book of Philippians, Paul uses 2 words 9 times each...and they don't fit his circumstances.

Years ago I memorized the book of Philippians. It’s one of my favorite Epistles. 

Paul wrote to the Philippians when he was under house arrest for preaching the gospel. To add insult to injury, some “Christian” teachers tried to “stir up trouble” for Paul while he was in chains (Philippians 1:15-18). 

I’ve never been imprisoned, but I’ve been rejected by several family members because of my faith. And I’ve had a few professing Christians who also stirred up trouble for me in my already difficult circumstances.

But here’s the truth Paul teaches in Philippians, a truth I've not yet fully achieved: We can rejoice in all circumstances. 

In the short book of Philippians, we find the word “rejoice” nine times and the word “joy” nine times.

Paul had great problems, but those problems didn't dampen his joy in the Lord: 

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

I haven't fully attained that joy in my circumstances, but I want to, so “I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me” (Philippians 3:12).

Is there an area of your life where you’re finding it difficult to rejoice? Then join me in pressing on, seeking God, and living out this difficult but important aspect of our faith. 

For more encouragement see We Need It: Joy and Ease or Endurance.

 

In the short book of Philippians, Paul uses 2 words 9 times each...and they don't fit his circumstances.

Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment