The Most Unreliable Feeling of All

Feelings aren't reliable. This 1-minute devotion offers an example and then shares the most unreliable of all feelings.

A decade ago, I experienced the strongest emotion the day before we left Budapest.


We'd been helping with ministry in Hungary for three months, and I got this feeling that I would never set foot on a Budapest street again.

We had lived in Budapest from 2004-2009 doing Christian work, and we had returned for several months every year since. So this feeling took me by surprise.

I didn't obsess over it, but I pondered it until I set foot on the Budapest streets again the following year, and the year after that, and the year after that, etc.

Feelings are powerful and unreliable. They mess with our minds and influence our behavior. 

And the most unreliable feeling we sometimes have is the feeling that God has abandoned or forgotten us. It's a common reaction when we face confusing difficulties, but it's a lie from the pit of hell.(1)

Never, never, never will He leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). That's a fact, not a feeling!

I love the Amplified version of this verse: "He has said, 'I will never [under any circumstances] desert you [nor give you up nor leave you without support, nor will I in any degree leave you helpless], nor will I forsake or let you down or relax my hold on you [assuredly not]!'"

💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙 

(1) Even great men and women of faith sometimes experience the feeling that God has forgotten them. See:

Why Are You So Far Away, Lord? 

Is Venting Always Wrong?  


Feelings aren't reliable. This 1-minute devotion offers an example and then shares the most unreliable of all feelings.

Bible Love Notes

2 comments: