We Need It: Repentance


Christians are forgiven past, present, and future, but we still need to confess and repent of our sins (1 John 1:8-10).

Psalm 32 shares several important principles about confession and repentance: 

1. The results are awesome, undeserved, life-changing, healing, transforming, refreshing. Let's rejoice in this truth daily!

“Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.” 

2. Confession and repentance cleanse our conscience.

“Blessed is the one whose sin the LORD does not count against them and in whose spirit is no deceit.” 

3. Unconfessed sin damages our well-being.

“When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.” 

4. Confession brings immediate relief.

“Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.… And you forgave the guilt of my sin.” 

5. There’s safety in honest confession and genuine repentance.

“You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.… the LORD’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him.” 

Repentance: We need it! 

💙Beyond 1-minute for those who want more:

5 Truths about Repentance that Every Christian Should Know

Some people claim that once we’re saved, there’s no need to ask God’s forgiveness because we’re already forgiven. 

But 1 John 1:8-10 is written to believers, and it makes it clear that repentance is an important aspect of knowing the Lord: “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.”

In addition, Jesus says, “Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.” Revelation 3:19 

And Hebrews 12:5-6 says: “And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children? He said, ‘My child, don’t make light of the LORD’s discipline, and don’t give up when he corrects you. For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.’” 

Christians are legally forgiven — past, present, and future. But sincere, heartfelt repentance makes us aware of areas where we need to seek God's transformation. It moves us forward in our faith, drawing us closer to our Savior.

Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment