When I scroll through "Christian posts" on Pinterest or visit popular Christian websites, I'm regularly disappointed by messages emphasizing our significance and our feelings instead of God's.
Unfortunately, it is a sign of our times as more and more people are behaving like neo-narcissists* who:
1. Boast about their gifts.
2. Refuse to confess mistakes and certainly won't confess sins.
3. Have no respect for age or experience.
4. Value externals more than character.
6. Compromise moral values.
But God is looking for people who:
1. "Boast" about knowing Him (Jeremiah 9:23-24).
2. Listen to experience and correction (Proverbs 15:32).
3. Honestly confess their sins (1 John 1:9).
4. Value character (Galatians 5:16-17).
5. Take personal responsibility, repenting of sin (1 John 1:9-10).
6. Refuse to conform to our culture (Romans 12:2).
It's hard to be this kind of person when surrounded by neo-narcissists, but that's the kind of person God is looking for and the kind I want to be.
How about you?
* There's a wide range of narcissism according to modern psychology - read more HERE. What I'm calling "neo-narcissism" is the increasingly prevalent selfishness in our self-esteem culture.