Can't Live Without 'Em

When we portray the Gospel in fiction, we need to be faithful to the truth.

The Great Commission in the script of "A.D.The Bible Continues":
"You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth. Go into the world and preach the Gospel to all creation."


The actual Great Commission - Christ's final earthly message - is brief, concise, and powerful:

“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20

The television series "A.D.The Bible Continues," missed several key elements, but perhaps the greatest is this:

Jesus, the Ultimate Authority, King of Kings and Lord of Lords is with His followers always ... that's me ... and it's you, if you know Jesus.

I can live without the scripted words of actors, but not without the Words and presence of Christ.  How about you?

*****************

Despite my disappointment in the shortened version of the Great Commission, I have enjoyed a number of things about "A.D. The Bible Continues." If you have been watching it, I would love to hear your observations. Please leave them in a comment.

When we portray the Gospel in fiction, we need to be faithful to the truth.

4 comments:

  1. I have also enjoyed "AD the Bible continues..." I have noted several omissions and changes, but generally am happy that something Christian is being shown. Perhaps it will intrigue people enough to check it out themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying AD the Bible continues but am disappointed again that they continually take such license with the Holy Scripture. I don't know where they got the Angel coming from heaven to the tomb of Jesus. Besides their changing the Scripture, I guess the thing that is bothering me quite a bit is how they are portraying the women .. i.e., Mary Magdalene confronting Peter, Annas' daughter, Caiaphas' wife and how she speaks to her husband and to the other Priests and even her father. In that culture, not like today, women didn't have much say and would never have gone against or spoken out loud with disrespect, etc. To me that is so worldly and of our current time.

    ReplyDelete