Choosing the Ancient Paths

Jeremiah warns us to take the "ancient paths." This 1-minute devotion explains what that means to us today.

I left my husband at the airport and traveled home at the legal speed limit. At times it seemed I was standing still as cars passed me left and right.


I sometimes feel like that when it comes to moral values too. 

The world no longer obeys God's "safe speed limits."

In truth, most folks aren't even on the same path that Christians travel. They're on the broad highway with "rest stops" of abortion, assisted suicide, homosexuality, premarital sex, and other sins that lead them further away from God's grace and deliverance.

They believe God's commands are speed traps based on outdated, irrelevant laws.

But the Lord says, "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls" (Jeremiah 6:16).

The traffic is heavy on the broad highway that leads to destruction, and sometimes it gets distracting (Matthew 7:13-14).

But we can stay on the ancient paths by keeping our eyes on the Lord (Proverbs 4:27). 

✞✞✞

For more encouragement to take the ancient path, see Wilderness Wanderers and When People Abandon Faith.

If you've purchased the Wisdom for Life devotional, you might want to read or reread Day 92 for more wisdom about standing firm and taking the right path.

 

Jeremiah warns us to take the "ancient paths." This 1-minute devotion explains what that means to us today.

 
Bible Love Notes

4 comments:

  1. The road to Truth is steep and narrow. It reminds me to the story, The Tortoise and The Hare.
    Just keep on, keeping on and you'll have the Truth to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that analogy, Christine. Always appreciate your insights.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with you and may God bless! ¤

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. When I consider the explosive advancement in technology that my generation has witnessed in a mere 20 years, I also cannot help but compare the erosion of ethics that has accompanied it.

    ReplyDelete