To the Moon and Back - Buzz Aldrin's Lunar Communion With Jesus

Buzz Aldrin moon communion, Communion on the Moon, Apollo 11 moon communion
Buzz Aldrin's Statement of Faith in Space...
 
"One day while I was at Cape Kennedy ... I wondered if it might be possible to take communion on the moon, symbolizing the thought that God was revealing Himself there too, as man reached out into the universe."~ Buzz Aldrin

Aldrin, the lunar module pilot on Apollo 11, was the second man to walk on the moon. 

With the blessing of his pastor, he packed a chalice and communion bread with his gear. 

On July 20, 1969, when he stepped on the moon, he read John 15:5 "to indicate our trust that as man probes into space we are in fact acting in Christ." And he celebrated the Lord's Supper. 

NASA didn't publicize this ceremony for fear of atheist protestors. But, none-the-less, the first thing celebrated on the moon was the atoning death of Christ. 

I don't know about you, but that blesses me to the moon and back!

For more on this lunar communion:
The Blaze & Secret Communion & Guidepost article
Quotes from Guidepost articles 




4 comments:

  1. How interesting! I never knew that, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gail!

    I read this on the way to work today and I was so amazed, I never knew this. Thanks so much for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...