Hidden but Not Hidden

This devotion explains 7 ways we can "hide God's Word" in our hearts.

Psalm 119:11 says:
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” 

In this verse, hidden doesn't mean concealing God's Word. It means storing it up and treasuring it in our hearts. 

If you read all 176 verses of Psalm 119, you'll discover many ways that the psalmist hid God's Word in his heart. For example:

Psalm 119:9-16: “How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. 10 I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. 12 Praise be to you, LORD; teach me your decrees. 13 With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. 14 I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. 15 I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. 16 I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”

In these verses, the psalmist hides God's Word by:

1. Obeying it – verse 9 (James 1:22-25)
2. Seeking God in it – verse 10 (Matthew 6:33)
3. Studying it with the Spirit's help – verse 12 (John 14:26)
4. Reciting it – verse 13 (Colossians 3:16)
5. Enjoying it – verse 14 (Psalm 19:8)
6. Meditating on it – verse 15 (Philippians 4:8)
7. Spending time regularly in it – verse 16 (2 Timothy 2:15)

Are you "hiding" God's Word in your heart?

These devotions can encourage you:



https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first four devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

This devotion explains 7 ways we can "hide God's Word" in our hearts.


Bible Love Notes

14 comments:

  1. Hi Gail, amen, I know when I make the time and take the effort to absorb God's word, it always affects me positively. Thank you for the reminder to do so
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for hiding God's Word in our hearts. For me, music--singing God's Word, learning Scripture songs, writing music to a verse-- really helps me hide God's Word in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link between music and Scripture, Pam. I know that I learned an enormous amount of Scripture in the 70's when Scripture songs were so popular. It's a wonderful way to hide God's Word in our hearts.

      Delete
  3. I love your drawing! It's so creative! I can't draw at all! I mean as good as it gets is stick figures for me! I do think drawing would help me memorize though! Do you draw bible verses very often?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't draw verses often although I've lately started doing it more often. My 6 year old granddaughter loves to have me draw with her, and she loved this particular drawing, so I thought I'd share it. And it really doesn't matter if they are stick drawings if they help you remember. I should take a photo of the margins in my Bible...they are full of stick drawings, especially in the Proverbs. : )

      Delete
  4. I love your drawing, too--and I'd love to see a photo of the margins of your Bible! I agree with you and Pam--music is a great way to memorize. Steve Green has two CDs called "Hide 'em in Your Heart" that are songs straight out of Scripture aimed at children. I used to sing them with my kids when they were little--and they still bubble up from time to time. Great for grandkids, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn.
      I think many of the things we do to help our children learn Scripture are the best ways to learn ourselves : )

      Delete
  5. I definitely enjoyed this devotional - and I LOVED your drawing! How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "How do I hide God's word in my heart?"
    Memorize it. No better way to test our thoughts, be encouraged or encourage others.
    I use a visual form of memorizing to help with learning the verses. It is found here: www.memoryicons.com You can try it too with the 10 commandments. Look under the "freebee" tab. Neat drawing of Psalm 36. You must be a visual learner too, most people are.
    Thank you for the time and effort you put into your relevant, thoughtful posts. They set my mind on things above each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison, for sharing these ideas/resources with others. I guess statistics show that about 65% of us are visual learners.
      God bless : )

      Delete
  7. Amazing, I'm definitely gonna take the time to try these today.

    What I do? I write novels, and make characters similar to bible inspired heros, have them go through amazing battles that can only be overrcom by faith ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome
    A great way to absorb God's word in our heart that has really help me is also picturing it and meditating on it
    I think I will have to start practicing the drawings too
    God bless you Ma

    ReplyDelete