Tuesday

Things that Make Me Sad--Adam

Genesis 3:15, first evangelism, first sign of Jesus in Scripture
This week's Bible Love Notes are a bit different from my normal devotions. They are prayer thoughts I had after reading the first few chapters of Genesis.

Dear Lord, 
I was reading Genesis 1-3, and it made me sad. 

Adam was:
♥ the first You breathed life into 
♥ the one You let name the animals (how fun!)
the one who walked and talked with You in the garden paradise You created for Him

... the one who chose to disobey the only rule You gave him...the only rule! 

And He disobeyed even though He wasn't deceived. He knew what he was doing, but he did it anyway (1 Timothy 2:14). 

And when You caught him with forbidden fruit on his lips, he blamed his wife and blamed You for giving him his wife! (3:12

But this is the part that really blows my mind: You didn't destroy him. 

You gave him another chance and gave us all a clue about the only way Adam's sin could be overcome (3:15).* A way that cost You dearly.

My sadness over Adam's sin is only exceeded by my awe for Your incredible love. 
"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."   

These words spoken to the serpent foreshadow the coming of Christ. Christ is the only one who is the "offspring" or the "seed of woman" (KJV) since no man was involved in His birth. Satan (the serpent) did "strike at Christ's heel" (i.e. inflict a wound on the Cross), but Christ crushed Satan's head (inflicted a fatal blow). Theologians call this verse protoevangelium. See also Romans 16:20.

I'd love to have you subscribe to Bible Love Notes and receive a 1-minute devotion in your email box each weekday. Just use the Feedburner tool on the right sidebar and be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox when you subscribe. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for explaining the bible verse so clearly. I have never understood it before! And yes, how wonderful to walk and talk to God in the garden of Eden - and how sad to throw it all away in one moment of weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. I've also been in those same passages for the past few weeks. Just amazed again at God' awesome power, creativity and mercy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear your insights on these verses, Krystal.
      Gail : )

      Delete
  3. Love this reflection, Gail! One of the most important studies I've ever done was a deep study of Genesis. Thank you so much for sharing it at Grace at Home. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail, thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...