Tuesday

Bad Step

Bible, Believe, Proverbs 14:15
In 2008, that step changed my world. 

It was 3 months before we moved back to the U.S., and I was running down the steps in a beautiful old building in downtown Budapest. 

But when I met that step, I ended up on the landing with one sprained and one broken ankle. 

Since that time, I've never run down a staircase. I've learned to give thought to my steps. 

Proverbs 14:15 says we should have the same kind of prudence when it comes to trusting the words of man: "a simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought to his steps." 

In my almost 40 years as a Christian, I've run down a few spiritually slippery steps I should have avoided. I trusted the "staircase" because the philosophies were taught by accepted Christian authors, speakers, and teachers. 

That's why the Bible warns us to be prudent, checking every teaching by God's Word. So let's do it!

~
My "Myth Buster" series is based on many of the common errors among Christians, many of which I once believed myself. 
~
To read another 1-minute devotion about breaking my ankle: Broke My Ankle. Picture to the right is me coming down the stairs the only way I could for about 6 weeks.


5 comments:

  1. What a great "object" lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great analogy. I,too, have slipped on a few spiritual stairs. What a good reminder this is to know what the Word says and let it be our guide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, good analogy. I had a similar experience fracturing my ankle, and then re-fracturing it on a step slippery with ice. Like you, since that time, my steps are taken with thought. Especially in slippery circumstances. As a teenager, I put myself in "slippery" circumstances many times, oh how I'd like to change some of those steps. Thankfully, I had/have God's Grace, He has forgiven me and I have a good rapport with teen girls. I do what I can to keep them from "slippery" steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all have steps for which we need God's forgiveness and grace!
      And those of us who've fallen know the importance of being careful.
      Gail

      Delete
  4. Love this and what a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...