Logical Exaggeration

A.W. Tozer, God's Love, Our obligation to Christ
artwork: Billy Frank Alexander
"We can exaggerate about many things; but we can never exaggerate our obligation to Jesus or the compassionate abundance of the love of Jesus to us." A.W. Tozer 

Have you ever thought about doing something spiritually extravagant like: 
  • Giving generously to kingdom work--not just regular tithing, but sacrificial giving. 
  • Giving up your vacation for a mission trip. 
  • Giving up sports or a hobby to spend more time in the Word. 
But you gave yourself time to think about it and it didn't seem logical. Or maybe you told a friend who helped you see it wasn't practical or necessary. 

I've talked myself out of things like this. But I hate the company that puts me in. 

In John 12:5 when Mary anoints Jesus feet with costly perfume, Judas makes a very logical argument: “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” 

Let's not be "logical" when it comes to Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. I love that the first bullet point in your list of examples is about giving generously. My husband and I prayed about this a few days ago. It’s something we desire to do, but our budget is very tight. Thanks for the reminder that something doesn’t have to be logical to be the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am coming from A Little R and R.

    I love the idea of being extravagant with God. I am happy to do things that are fun for ME, but what about making some time for God? He gives and gives and gives. It's good for me to give back!

    Peace in Christ,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these comments. Recently had a conversation with my daughter. SHe is in school to be a vet, and is studying biology. SHe told me she did not believe any more as none of the bible "made sense" and "really mum, God really made Adam and Eve out of a rib?" Thats just not logical. I came back with "honey, when we talk about Jesus, it is NOT logical. He is Jesus and it's unexplainable. That's where faith comes in. She got quiet and hasn't said another word about it. I am now praying for GOd to open her eyes and take off the blinders that her science teachers have put on her & that GOd would also put His words in her mouth, to open the eyes of all the kids in the class. Peace be with us all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...