Clutter Tolerance

A Biblical view of possessions with a warning about our "clutter" tolerance.

Did you know we all have different "clutter levels"

According to experts, once we've reached those levels, we become stressed and unproductive. Even though it "hurts" our brains to deal with clutter, we keep collecting unnecessary possessions. 

I have to confess that I'm a "collector," so don't think I'm pointing a finger. But lately I've been asking myself some questions: 
  • Would my life be more godly and productive without so many possessions? 
  • Do I own my things or do my things own me?

I'm fast to explain away the meaning of Christ's words to the rich young ruler. You know, when He says to sell all he has and give it to the poor. I know that's not God's will for everyone. 

But do I understand these words of Christ: "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own." Luke 12:15

I want to make sure that I'm storing my real treasure in heaven because "wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be" (Matthew 6:19-21). 

How about you?

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

If  you'd like to do a short Bible study on this devotion, you'll find it HERE.



From the archives: another 1-minute devotion about clutter: De-clutter and Refresh

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word: Wisdom for Life. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.



A Biblical view of possessions with a warning about our "clutter" tolerance.

Bible Love Notes

10 comments:

  1. I definitely think there's a link between clutter and feeling stressed. In fact, I think the amount of clutter in our lives correlates with the amount of "clutter" we have in our emotional or spiritual lives too. And if that's true, then I'm in trouble as well. :) I just found a new antique that I want to add to my collection on my mantle, but have decided I'm going to sell something else whenever I buy something new. Maybe it will help with this whole clutter situation! Great insight and challenge, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea of getting rid of something every time you buy something. I've gone through two times in my life when I got rid of many, many possessions in order to go on the mission field, and while it's painful to part with some things, there is a great feeling doing it.

      But even after getting rid of things, I seem to re-accumulate them! And antiques are my weakness and the hardest thing to get rid of!

      Delete
  2. Good morning Gail,
    This is fresh on my mind this morning. I've read posts from others who are thinking about it, too. I think I'm looking forward to getting back in the homeschool routine and decluttering would help.

    Blessings,
    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regularly need to go through my home and de-clutter...what's wrong with me? Why do I keep collecting this unnecessary stuff? hmmmm

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this morning's inspiration Gail. I went straight to my closet and cleaned it our to give away to our Sem wives. Something that has been on my calendar for a couple of weeks. I definitely believe my life is better without so much stuff. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Deb! I've been doing this in my house, but I have lots more to do.

      Delete
  4. Great post ... and your graphic explains part of the problem. Our "wanter" isn't always so sanctified, and it takes more and more to feel content.

    A helpful book to me recently, even though I don't agree with everything in it, is "7: An Experimental Mutiny against Excess" by Jen Hatmaker. Reading it has helped me simplify not only things in my home and closet, but also my lifestyle. It's going to be a long, ongoing process, I'm sure.

    Thanks for making this point so clearly, succinctly and biblically. You have a gift for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may need to read the book your recommend, Dawn. And I like the way you worded that "Our 'wanter' isn't always so sanctified." : )

      Delete
  5. Just donate your unwanted and still usable stuff to charity. Some will even pick your stuff up. Goodbye, clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the process of decluttering my home so this message is very timely for me! Like you Gail,I tend to collect stuff I think may be useful in my cardmaking.Trouble is,when I want to use it,my craft room is too cluttered to find it.Thank you for this.xx

    ReplyDelete