Acceptance Does Not Equal Love - God's Love is Transforming

Acceptance and Love aren't the same thing, God changes us
God genuinely loves us and that means He corrects us and helps us mature...

"It is natural for us to wish that God had designed for us a less glorious and less arduous destiny; but then we are wishing not for more love but for less.” C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

We want friends, family, and God to accept us as we are.

We don't want to be examined, exhorted, rebuked and encouraged to be better.

We've mistaken acceptance for love, but true love expects the best from its beloved, not the least.

God accepts us as we are, but He expects us to change. That's what true love does.


Our God of Love has given us His Word to teach, rebuke, correct, and train us (2 Timothy 3:16-17). And we can eagerly help Him in that process (Philippians 3:7-14).

6 comments:

  1. I cringed a little when I saw the title this morning in my inbox, but this devotional really has me thinking! The world teaches us, and I've fallen into that thinking myself, that love equals acceptance. God, however, takes us as we are but loves us enough to push us to grow and become better. (I subscribed to your email list just a few weeks ago, and the devotions have been a huge blessing to me everyday! Thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Bonnie. I'm trying to separate the truth from many of the things I've been taught (even things I've been taught in the church). I don't think most of us follow wrong teaching out of rebellion but more out of ignorance. I'm so glad that God makes His Word available to us so we can better understand His purposes and love. Sorry to have made you cringe : )
      Thanks for joining me on this journey to know God better.
      Gail

      Delete
  2. Gail,
    Your site is a true pleasure. I can;t tell you how happy I am that you stopped by to visit me so that I could have the honor of getting to know you!
    I subscribed and am foll on FB as well.

    Love it here and look fwd to more.

    Be well and God bless
    ~Chris (Campfires and Cleats)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail,

    I agree with you on this. Our world has confused acceptance with love, and love means wanting the best for someone even if we have to tell them that they are wrong.

    God bless you,
    Misty@TheBarnPrincess

    ReplyDelete
  4. The definition of friendship that I've given my daughter is that a friend wants what is best for you, even when it is not what is best for them. Love means we do not use others to prop up our false self. Thanks for the post. http://choosetotrust.com/2013/08/the-alarm/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading your posts and am constantly amazed how you can pack so much within just a few words. I have so much to learn from you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...