God Wins All Wrestling Matches

An interesting true story that proves the point that doing the right thing is often more important when it's hard to do. Fact: God wins all wrestling matches.

In 1980 I toured communist Czechoslovakia. 

The government had an inflated exchange rate for their money and black-market money was readily available, but buying it was against international law. So, as a Christian, I exchanged money legally.

Then I ran out of money on the weekend when the banks were closed, and our tour guide offered me a black-market exchange. I needed money for supper, so I convinced myself that I had no choice but to disobey the law.

Thus began the “wrestling match”: me telling God it was necessary. God reminding me that I was using situational ethics to disobey His commands (Romans 13:1-6; 1 Peter 2:13-17). 

It was an unjust government and an unfair law—but that particular law didn’t violate God’s law. 

So I quit “wrestling,” returned the black-market money to our guide, and reminded myself of 1 John 5:3

“This is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.

I could have walked away from the wrestling match and done what was wrong, but I'd have lost in so many ways.

The beauty in wrestling matches with God is this: when we let Him win, we win as well. I learned to apply my faith to a real-life situation, and this small temptation strengthened me for greater temptations in the future (Luke 16:10).

-----------------   

Note: I was willing to go without supper that evening to obey God, but I didn't have to. Nor did I even have to borrow money. A new friend insisted on buying my supper, and she knew nothing about my lack of funds! 

Please check out the Bite Size Bible Study based on this devotion. It contains scriptural guidelines for obeying and disobeying government laws. I also share why I gladly disobeyed another Czech law on that trip in 1980.

You can also find this devotion with added details as a guest post on Upgrade With Dawn
 

An interesting true story that proves the point that doing the right thing is often more important when it's hard to do. Fact: God wins all wrestling matches.

Bible Love Notes

      4 comments:

      1. Hi Gail, lovely story to point out the fact that when we choose God's way He blesses. Sometimes immediately, and sometimes later, but He does bless and honour right choices.
        God bless
        Tracy

        ReplyDelete
      2. That is awesome how the Lord provided even as you were tempted. God bless you!

        ReplyDelete
      3. All Glory to God In Jesus Name and The Holy Spirit!

        ReplyDelete
      4. God honors those who honor Him. Same message of the movie Chariots of Fire. Nice movie, got best picture in the eighties. God bless us all to walk faithfully. Let us always give thanks and strive to do good.

        ReplyDelete