Is God a Permissive Granddad? No! Hebrews 12:5-6

God is not permissive, God is not like a permissive grandfather, God rebukes corrects and loves
Can we displease God? Christians from previous centuries had no doubt we could. But many modern Christians, influenced by a misunderstanding of unconditional love, disagree.

Perhaps they're responding to legalistic, works-oriented teachings of the past, but they’ve gone too far.

God’s purity, justice and hatred of sin are part of His love for us. He isn’t a permissive grandparent, overlooking our sins. He’s a perfect Father who flawlessly judges, disciplines, punishes and rewards us. That's why Scripture tells us to find out what pleases Him (Ephesians 5:1-20). That's why we're commanded to be diligent about our sanctification (Philippians 2:12-13).

That's why Hebrews 12:5-6 says,“My child, don’t make light of the Lord’s discipline, and don’t give up when he corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.” NLT

If we are not displeased and disappointed in loved ones who sin, we don't truly love them. And God truly loves us.

9 comments:

  1. So glad you're back! Thanks for hosting & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on launching your new hop, Gail. As always, I enjoyed hopping on over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for inviting me to your new log hop, Gail. I pray it will bless many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see your blog hop again. I missed it. I enjoyed your post this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the invite and for hosting Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this statement - "If we are not displeased and disappointed in loved ones who sin, we don't truly love them." For years I think my son thought my disappointment in some of his behaviors meant I loved him less, even though I was always telling him I love him not matter what he does. I think he's finally getting that I want the best for his life and sometimes am disappointed BECAUSE I love him so much!!! Same with God's love!! Thanks for sharing and hosting the blog hop!!
    Blessings, Ann @ Christ in the Clouds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's easy for people to mistake disappointment with a lack of love, but it's not. Some people may have had parents who they couldn't please no matter what they did, but most parents want the best for their children and are naturally disappointed when they make bad choices. I know my parents were disappointed in me at times, and I have been disappointed in my children as well. Just like God is disappointed with us at times.
      Thanks for sharing your insights.

      Delete
  7. I feel like I learned a lot about God just through parenting my own children. Suddenly their excuses and complaints just seem to resonate with me and my own excuses or complaints to God, lol!

    But I also knew that just as I loved my kids when they made poor choices and forgave them when they asked, God loved me and forgave me (still does!).

    I didn't know you had a blog hop! Awesome! I will try and remember to link up Friday!

    Thanks so much for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that we must be careful what we allow in our lives. Sin is still sin. We must also remember to "Love the sinner, and Hate the sin."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...