Why I Don't Steal

8th Command, Eighth Command, Thou Shalt Not Steal
If my conscience didn’t bother me, I’d probably break the Eighth Commandment and steal. Not shop lifting or robbing banks, but keeping the extra change...letting the waiter forget to charge for dessert....using copyrighted materials on my blogs...fudging on my taxes. 

But my conscience bothers me…I just can’t do it. 


It’s natural for us to feel guilty when we violate God’s commands because a sense of right and wrong is written on our hearts (Romans 2:15). And when we become Christians, Christ gives us new hearts that are even more sensitive to sin.


I’m glad my conscience bothers me. It’s a sign that I have Christ’s spirit. If I quit listening to my conscience, it "fades" and loses it's power in my life. When a person ignores her conscience long enough, she loses all understanding of sin.

So take time today to thank God for your conscience. It's one way He warns us to keep our fingers from the flames!
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011


 Sign up below to have 1-Minute Bible Love Notes delivered to your email box. Be sure to Validate Feedburner email sent to your inbox.
For free email delivery enter your email address:


FeedBurner

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with this post! If your conscience bothers you about something you're not being legalistic, you're being sensitive to the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...