"Nakes" & Whispers

People have an unrealistic fear of snakes, and this 1-minute devotion suggests this fear may have a biblical basis. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions


“Bears, snakes or tigers—which is the scariest?” I asked my three-year-old granddaughter. 

“Nakes.”

Research shows that most adults, children, babies, and even some animals have a predisposed fear of snakes. And their fears aren't based on bad experiences with these slithering reptiles.

In the U.S. bee bites and lightening cause more deaths than snake bites, yet snakes are more likely to cause irrational fear.

I have a sneaking suspicion that snakes hold a special place in our psyche because they represent our first enemy. The serpent's chat with Eve in Genesis 3 changed the course of human history. 

His words were deadly venom and from that point forward, God's people and Satan have been at odds. This “enmity” (deep-seated hatred) was prophesied in (Genesis 3:15). Perhaps this was also the beginning of our "irrational" fear of snakes.(1)  

I like to think it's a "whisper of mankind's fall" planted in the human mind to help us realize our need for a Savior.

-------------------------
These sources look at this fear from a secular point of view, but I reference them to show that this fear of snakes is prevalent: Live Science;  NY Times  

(1) Obviously, there are exceptions...some people enjoy snakes. This doesn't mean they are less spiritual. But they are the exceptions, not the norm. 

God left many clues of His divine nature in creation. I believe that is the reason for our unrealistic fear of snakes, and it's the reason Satan is so passionate about promoting the evolution lie.

Romans 1:20: For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. (NIV)

Romans 1:20: For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. (NLT)

Please read We Can't Shut Up!

💙💙💙

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word: Wisdom for Life. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

People have an unrealistic fear of snakes, and this 1-minute devotion suggests this fear may have a Biblical basis.



People have an unrealistic fear of snakes, and this 1-minute devotion suggests this fear may have a biblical basis. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions


6 comments:

  1. I certainly agree with every word you say here. I had a nun as my high school biology teacher who would wander about the room with her pet snake draped over her shoulders. Yikes. "All creatures great and small, the Lord God made them all" was a prayer we embraced at different levels of enthusiasm when it came to "nakes!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening,
    Very interesting observation. I remember in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones said, "I hate snakes". And I believe we do have an spiritual aversion to "snake" or Satan.
    I am following you from Moms the Word.
    Blessings,
    Happy Easter,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that research showed that, although I have known several women that are afraid of snakes. One gal couldn't even go into the snake house at the zoo, even though the snakes were behind the glass and she was perfectly safe. I had to take her children through the exhibit for her.

    I don't mind snakes as long as they aren't dangerous and I know they are there. I don't like to be surprised by them when I'm walking or in the garden.

    I have held snakes and they don't scare me at all, but I could NEVER bring myself to hold a spider, lol!

    Thanks so much for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.. "Nakes" are scariest! So glad however, that He is greater than our fears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these bible love notes. Giving me something new to reflect on every day. I thank God for you. Happy Easter everyone and may God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have a very unhealty phobia for snakes, could not even touch a picture of a snake, then from 2015 onwards, i came to be so much closer to God, and after a while i realised many things have just disappeared, like my phobia for snakes, but i believe it will only last as long as i am close to Him. But it was such a blessed feeling to realise He can remove our fear.

    ReplyDelete