Aware of Thieves

When Thieves sat near our table, I couldn't help but think of Satan, the greatest thief. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions #Satan

Two men came in and sat near us at a restaurant in Budapest. They didn’t order, their eyes shifted around the restaurant, and then they began edging their chairs closer to our table. 

Our waiter came to our table, bent down and whispered, “Please watch your purse and backpack. These men would like to steal them.”

Within moments the two suspicious men left the restaurant, aware we'd recognized their purpose. 

I was grateful for our waiter’s warning to be aware of our surroundings. Victims of crime are often distracted, oblivious to their environment. 

We need this same awareness for our spiritual environment. Music, reading material, TV, movies, foods, relationships, situations, and thoughts can bring us harm or good.(1) 

Today let’s ask God to give us us wisdom for protecting our hearts and minds (Proverbs 4:23).

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” Jesus, John 10:10
-----------------
(1) Each of the highlighted words leads to a link about that subject. Be sure to check them out.

Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

When Thieves sat near our table, I couldn't help but think of Satan, the greatest thief.




15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this reminder to be aware of our surroundings. It's so important and so easy to forget. Even in the comfort of our own homes, something like television programming can sneak up on us when we least expect it. I love your blog and daily devotionals and it's such an honor to be featured this week. I hope you have a blessed weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail - I too am grateful when someone takes the time to give me a heads-up, look out, be aware. The word does that too. Its just to absorb it and remember and it will guide us away from trouble too.
    God bless and I hope you have a very blessed weekend
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. What goes in our mind stays there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've so often been prompted in my spirit to be aware - when shopping the charity shops the other day with my handbag in the cart several times i had to move it to keep everything within my reach of protection.. so i appreciate that you've brought this again to our attention in so many areas of life !

    hoping everyone has a blessed weekend ~ Grace & Peace !

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw the new buttons on the bottom of your post I had to go make my own. I now have 20 + link up buttons in my side bar in the space that used to fit 2 : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is the best answer to the problem of unwieldy buttons. I've had fun with the program making icons for fb/pin/twitter too.

      Delete
  6. what a great analogy to an important message...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great message even if this blog post is a couple of years old. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine that there are people, who walk around with ear buds in and also have their phone in their face. How can they have any idea of what is going on around them? It leaves me baffled!
    We should all thank the Almighty's watchers on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My ladies bible study is my biggest spiritual thief. They want only studies that will satisfy their itchy ears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ladies in my bible study who want to hear only what makes their ears happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the awesome post!! I need to really pay attention to what I listen to, my surroundings, and to find value in who I am in Christ.... My stinkin' thinkin' has to stay under control only through the Holy Spirit... He is my strenth,joy, comfort,helper and Redeemer!😊 A very dear lady told me she sets an alarm every hour to pray, I do not, but I try to keep a spiritual alarm set often... This has helped me so!!!! Hope I didn't bounce my thoughts all over... I am learning to share my life with ya'all😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the awesome post!! I need to really pay attention to what I listen to, my surroundings, and to find value in who I am in Christ.... My stinkin' thinkin' has to stay under control only through the Holy Spirit... He is my strenth,joy, comfort,helper and Redeemer!�� A very dear lady told me she sets an alarm every hour to pray, I do not, but I try to keep a spiritual alarm set often... This has helped me so!!!! Hope I didn't bounce my thoughts all over... I am learning to share my life with ya'all��

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed we must be alert and pray always for His protection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always Gail, an insightful post.

    ReplyDelete