You Can "Fit In" or You Can Follow Jesus—But You Can't Do Both.

The world pressures us to "fit in," and many Christians think they can make the gospel attractive by fitting in.

Because my father’s job caused us to move almost twenty times before I reached seventh grade, I was always the new kid without longtime friends and without knowledge of the local kid culture. I often didn't fit in.

When I homeschooled my children in the 1980s, the biggest criticism people shared with me was their concern that my children wouldn’t “fit in.” 

Our desire to fit in is a human problem that starts early in life. We all want to be accepted, popular, and well-liked. However, most high school reunions reveal that fitting in and being popular has little to do with success or happiness in life. 

And it has absolutely nothing to do with godliness. 

There's a cool Jesus preached in the world and in many churches, a Jesus who “fits in” with culture, never judging anyone except religious bigots, accepting every lifestyle and belief, saving everyone (2 Corinthians 11:3-4). But that Jesus doesn't exist. 

We serve a nonconforming God who expects us to be nonconformists (John 15:18-21). No, let me change that statement: We should be conforming, but to God, not man (Romans 8:29Romans 12:2). 

I thank God for the way my early life prepared me to withstand rejection for not fitting in (Romans 8:28). And I thank Jesus for His profound example (John 15:18-25).

✜✜✜

For more insights on this subject, see "Thank You that I'm Not Like Other People." I also encourage you to take time this week to review The Fake Jesus series which features five one-minute devotions.

Biblical, concise, affordable devotional
💙Be sure to check out The Bible Love Notes devotional Wisdom for Life. It's discounted on LifewayAmazon, and CBD

And you can also sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes 1-minute devotions HERE.



The world pressures us to "fit in," and many Christians think they can make the gospel attractive by fitting in.


Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment