Mix-and-Match gods that Fit Human Purposes

Let's beware of the human tendency to create gods who fit our purposes. And Let's study the only truth we can fully trust.

I was having lunch with my husband in a restaurant when a large group sat down at the table nearby and began talking loud enough for everyone in the restaurant to hear. 

The conversation went from tattoos to spanking children to eternal life. One young woman was especially loud, and she shared her beliefs which were a strange conglomeration of Hindu and Christian concepts. Before moving on to other subjects, she said she didn’t want to live forever because that would be boring. 

I prayed silently for her and her companions. 

She represents so many in our world who think they can decide what is true (2 Peter 2:1-3). 

I once thought I could determine truth. My conclusions were different than the conclusions of this loud woman, but just as foolish. 

What arrogant beings we are (Proverbs 16:18; Psalm 14:1; Proverbs 11:2)!

In our arrogance we’ve created gods whom we can supervise, mixing or matching various beliefs to serve our purposes. Or we can choose the religion that requires more faith than all of the others: atheism

I'm so glad Jesus saved me from my foolishness. That's one reason I want to study His Word, know what is true, and accurately share it with others (2 Timothy 2:15).

If the Lord saved you from your foolishness, I encourage you to do the same.

------------- 

If someone thinks they can understand God apart from Scripture, suggest they read Can Your Dog Work Algebra Problems? 

-------------

https://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/wisdom-for-life-devotional/
If you've purchased Gail's new book, Wisdom for Life, please leave a review on Amazon and Christianbook. Thanks!! And don't forget to download your free Bible study here with proof of purchase.


Let's beware of the human tendency to create gods who fit our purposes. And Let's study the only truth we can fully trust.


Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment