Why Genuine Believers Cannot Live a Sinful Lifestyle

Both the Words of Christ and other passages in Scripture refute the belief that Christians can live a sinful lifestyle.

We Christians are in "process." We aren't perfect, but genuine believers are serious about overcoming sin in our lives.

John 14:21: "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them."  

John 14:23-24: Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."

John 15:10: "If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love."

Some modern Christians are claiming that the only commands they must obey are those Christ spoke. But there is no basis for that claim.

Jesus explained that after He ascended, the Holy Spirit would teach us truth, and that is the basis of the New Testament Scriptures (John 14:26; John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Peter 3:15-16).  

Christians still sin, but we seek to obey all New Testament commands.(1)  

When we love Christ we have a sincere, determined desire to turn from sin (Philippians 2:12-13). Scripture says we can't know Jesus or love Him and continue to live a sinful lifestyle (1 John 3:6).

Footnote:

(1) Some Old Testament laws are repeated in the New Testament. Some are not because they were fulfilled by Christ's sacrifice (Matthew 5:17) or they were civil laws applying to the ancient nation of Israel. For a fuller explanation, see Laws, Commands, and Errors. Sadly, there is a false teaching embraced by a growing number of professing Christians claiming that we must obey dietary and ceremonial laws. For a full explanation of this error see All or Nothing: Christ's Fulfillment of the Law.

Both the Words of Christ and other passages in Scripture refute the belief that Christians can live a sinful lifestyle.


Bible Love Notes

1 comment:

  1. It's quite wonderful to know we are both sanctified and justified at the same time. What a gracious Sabiour we have.

    ReplyDelete