Let Me Ask You a Question: Are You a "Question-Asker"?

Did you know that part of Christian self-denial involves asking questions. This 1-minute devotion explains.

My husband calls me a “question-asker” because I often ask lots of questions in conversations with friends or when I meet new people.

I haven't always been that way, and I still occasionally monopolize a conversation, but I'm learning that this is an area where Christ wants us to deny ourselves.

Jesus said, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me” (Matthew 16:24).

Perhaps it sounds strange to say that asking questions is an act of self-denial. It's certainly not a difficult act, but it's a very basic way we can focus on others instead of focusing on ourselves.

The verses below talk about the importance of being considerate of others and interested in their needs:

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” Philippians 2:3-4

Next time you return from time with friends, co-workers, or fellow believers, ask yourself a few questions: How much interest did I show in others? What questions did I ask? What did I learn that can help me pray for the people I was with?

💙💙💙  

Did you know that part of Christian self-denial involves asking questions. This 1-minute devotion explains.
I encourage you to read some or all of the devotions below. They address various aspects of selfishness.

Why Am I Writing About Boundaries?I believe this teaching promotes selfishness and damages relationships...

"Rude Driver" RelationshipsThis isn't really talking about someone cutting you off in traffic...

Dealing with Selfish PeopleWe need to learn how to do this because the number of narcissists is growing...

Married but Acting SingleA story from my marriage...

Teaching Children About Needs and DesiresThe popular teachings on parenting encourage us to teach the wrong things...


Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment