A Detailed Prescription

Just as we need to check out the details of a medication, we sometimes want to check out the details behind a passage in Scripture.

If you pick up a prescription at the pharmacy, you typically get several pages of details with instructions for its use and the possible side effects, along with some technical information about the chemical formula. 

If I haven’t used the medicine before, I read through these details. If I’ve used the medicine before and I trust it, I don’t bother. 

I think this is a good analogy for Scripture reading. 

Sometimes we come across something in Scripture, typically in the Old Testament, and we don’t understand it. That’s when we can find out the details, research the background, check into the original language, customs, and purpose of the passage. 

God provides those details for anyone who wants to do the research, and while we may not have every tiny question answered, He gives us enough information to have peace about passages that confuse us. I often do this extra research so I can respond to questions or criticisms from readers. 

But, to be honest, I’ve been taking the “medicine” of God’s Word for over forty years with nothing but positive side effects (Psalm 1:1-3). 

This extra research improves my knowledge, but I don’t need it to trust God’s Word. I daily benefit from the healing effects of Scripture. It consistently improves my spiritual well-being, protecting me from viral errors, chronic sins, and terminal hopelessness (Psalm 112:1; Psalm 119:93).

I admit it—I’m addicted! (Psalm 119:20; Psalm119:40

How about you? 

Just as we need to check out the details of a medication, we sometimes want to check out the details behind a passage in Scripture.

Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment