Are You Feeling Lonely?

3 biblical ways to deal with loneliness

Loneliness is the feeling that we're separated from relevant relationships.

It's not completely dependent on contact. It's dependent on meaningful contact. That's why Christians can feel lonely even when surrounded by a group of non-Christians.

But Christians are unique in this regard. Loneliness is only a feeling for us, never a fact. We’re never truly alone because the Lord is always with us (Joshua 1:9; Isaiah 41:10).

So how can we deal with “feelings” of loneliness?

1. Take our burden of loneliness to the Lord and receive the comfort that only He can give (Matthew 11:28; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4).

2. Ask the Lord for meaningful things to do (Ephesians 2:10). 

God has plans for us! Let's ask Him how He is going to use our loneliness for His purposes (Romans 8:28). Perhaps He wants us to encourage other lonely people (Philippians 2:4; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4).

3. Spend more time with our Forever Friend who is always with us (Psalm 27:4; Psalm 84:10; Proverbs 8:34).

Times of loneliness are perfect times to "get alone" with the Lord. We can study the Psalms and see how the psalmist dealt with loneliness. Some good examples are found in Psalm 25 (v.16), Psalm 31 (v.12), and Psalm 102 (v.7).

It's not sinful to feel lonely. In fact, it can motivate us to draw closer to the Lord if we let it.
---------------------
Check out this collection of 1-minute devotions about Loneliness, and scroll down to see full-text for some of the passages above. You might want to write them on cards and recite them aloud when you feel lonely.

3 biblical ways to deal with loneliness
Joshua 1:9: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Isaiah 41:10: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Matthew 11:28: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Psalm 84:10: "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked." 

Psalm 27:4: "One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple."

Proverbs 8:34: "Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway."

Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment