The Comfort of Psalm 23

The Comfort of Psalm 23 - Have Jesus as Our Shepherd
"The Lord is my shepherd, I have all that I need." ~ Psalm 23:1 (NLT)

Before I knew the Lord, I memorized the Twenty-third Psalm in Sunday school. Fifty-some years later whenever I quote it, I feel a childlike comfort.

But the most memorable use of this Psalm in my life happened when my mother was dying. I sat in her hospital room, praying while she slept. Gently, so as not to awaken her, I began to recite the Twenty-third Psalm out loud. Then half way through, my mother joined in and we finished it together. The words were permanently a part of my mother’s psyche even though she was not fully awake. 

Psalm 23, Jesus the Good Shepherd, my mother's deathbed A few weeks later my mother was granted the privilege to meet her Shepherd face-to-face.

If you’ve never memorized the Twenty-third Psalm—I encourage you to do so this week. There’s something indescribable about the comfort it brings. 

copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011

Please help me spread the Word by "liking" following Bible Love Notes on:
 facebook , Pinterest Page, Twitter, and Instagram.

If you liked this devotion sign up for a subscription and get a 1-minute devotion in your email each weekday.
For free email delivery of Bible Love Notes

Enter your email address and VALIDATE Feedburner email sent to your inbox

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...