Why does Satan have any power at all?
If Christ died to bring everything on earth under His authority, why does Satan still have freedom to wreak such havoc in our world?
1. While Christ conquered death and sin, we will not see the completion of His victory until His second coming (Hebrews 2:5-9; John 16:33).
2. When mankind brought evil into God's perfect world, God provided a way of salvation. Satan's work must be necessary for mankind's redemption or God wouldn't allow it (Genesis 3).(1)
3. God uses Satan to test and strengthen His children (Job; Romans 8:28).(2)
4. God uses evil but does not cause it (Genesis 50:20; James 1:13; 1 John 1:5).
5. One day Satan's power will permanently and violently end (Revelation 20:10).
6. There's some mystery involved in these things, but we can trust God (1 Corinthians 13:12).
(1) Satan, a fallen angel, was used by God to test Adam and Eve - who were innocent but untested. When tested, they proved to be sinners in need of a Savior. Thus began God's redemption process. I don't think any of us fully understand this process of testing and redemption, but we can trust God's wisdom and knowledge.
(2) In Scripture, there is one incident that is credited to both God and Satan which clarifies this point that God uses Satan for His purposes. Read about that situation here: Got Questions.
Would you like to do a short Bible study on this devotion? Then check out today's Bite Size Bible Study.