Friday

Honoring God

Ephesians 6:4, Honoring Parents
If a father said he'd obey Ephesians 6:4 (nurturing his children in the Lord), but only if his children proved worthy, we'd tell him God's commands aren't negotiable.

But when Father's and Mother's Day rolls around, I'm reminded how often I've heard people justify their disrespect and neglect of their parents because they've deemed their parents unworthy.

When they do this, they not only judge their parents, they judge God and His commands (Ephesians 6:2Matthew 15:1-9).

They base their obedience on their perspective (which is usually hindered by a log - Matthew 7:1-4) and underestimate the purposes and effects of God's commands (Isaiah 55:8-9). 

Obeying God's command to honor our parents is about our obedience and trust in God, not about our parents' goodness. 

Let's quit making excuses, Dear Christians, and start honoring those God says to honor. God knows what He's doing and He promises to bless those who obey Him (Ephesians 6:2-3).

Footnote: We may need boundaries with parents who are physically abusive or mentally ill, but God still expects us to honor them. God knew when He gave the command that not all parents were worthy of honor, but He made no exceptions.

I believe disrespect for parents in the Christian community has led to great damage in all areas of our walk and our witness. That's why I often write about it. Please see related posts in the Honoring Parents Archive. Why not think of one way you can improve your relationship with your parents and act on it today.

8 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time with this. My mom refuses to have a realtionship with me. I'm wondering how I can honor her?
    I thought I was honoring her by being the best person I could be, by being wise.
    Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Christine,
      I know that our relationship with our parents can be very complex. And there are always going to be people in our lives who seem less interested in us than we are in them. Typically, it's in the opposite direction - children with little interest in their parents.

      The fact that you care about your relationship with your mom and want it to be better has a lot to say about your character. Good for you!

      The only advice I can give is to keep loving her and honoring her whether she shows an interest or not. God sees and understands, and He will bless you for your efforts.

      But I'm also praying a prayer that your mom will change and value you as her daughter.
      God bless you, dear friend.

      Gail

      Delete
  2. Good post Gail, many people fear this topic, and yet it will bring so much blessing. I wrote a whole book on Ephesians 6:1-4, it is called Respectfully Yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Marja!
      You're right - not many people are addressing the subject.
      May your book be used by God.
      Gail

      Delete
  3. My mother is mean and abusive and constantly breaks my heart. I'm alsmost 40 and have never given up but I can't do it anymore. How do I honor her when she is constantly telling me everything I do is wrong

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother is mean and abusive and constantly breaks my heart. I'm alsmost 40 and have never given up but I can't do it anymore. How do I honor her when she is constantly telling me everything I do is wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shilo,
      I'm sorry that you have to deal with this situation. It must be incredibly hard.

      If possible, let your mother's unkind remarks slide off your back and remind yourself that God loves you.

      And move in the opposite spirit because God will reward you even if your mother never does: "Do not be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

      I know this may sound simplistic, but God's Word proves true.

      Also, ask God to show you something good in your mother and give your mother what you wish she would give you - praise for that good thing.

      Again, I know that sounds simplistic. And I know it is definitely not easy. But remember that this isn't about your mother's worthiness. It is about honoring God's command.

      I pray for you, Shilo, as I write this, that you will draw from Christ's strength because we are able to do all things through Christ (Philippians 4:13).

      Gail

      Delete
  5. Dear shilo,I understand what it's like to deal with an abusive parent. My suggestion is to pray for your mom and talk to a Christian counselor. I did. I had to get away from the abuse so i could heal. Now many years later my finally have a good relationship with that parent. God will work things out for good. give it time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...