Saving Grace versus Saving Face

We look back at it and laugh....the day my husband lost our car. But it was also a wonderful opportunity for my husband to teach our son a valuable lesson. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

Thirty-some years ago, my husband Michael reported our car stolen. He couldn't believe someone had taken it from his workplace parking lot. 

That same day, our young son lost his soccer ball and Michael gave him a fatherly lecture about responsibility.

Several days later, on his way to work, Michael discovered our car in an overflow parking lot where (for the first time ever) he'd parked it the day he'd reported it missing. 

We look back at that mistake and laugh, but it wasn't so funny at the time. My husband was embarrassed and humbled.

To make things more ironic, we found our son's soccer ball in the car.

My husband notified the police of his error. Then he humbly sat down with our son and admitted he'd been the one at fault.

I suppose some men might have tossed the soccer ball in the nearest trash can instead of admitting their mistake to their son, but they'd have been the losers.

Integrity isn't about saving face. It's about facing sins and mistakes honestly (1 John 1:8-10). I believe my husband taught our son a valuable lesson about confession and responsibility.

"Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy." Proverbs 28:13

We look back at it and laugh....the day my husband lost our car. But it was also a wonderful opportunity for my husband to teach our son a valuable lesson. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment