Calvinism & Hobbism

Some fun insights from none other than Calvin and Hobbes - a mischievous little boy and his stuffed tiger. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

I like reading the comic Calvin and Hobbes. Surprisingly, this mischievous little boy and his stuffed tiger often remind me of some spiritual truth. 

Most often Calvin represents the "old man" in me. 

He illustrates a form of "Calvinism" both Arminians and Calvinists understand.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I recently read a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that ended with Calvin saying "I like Maxims that don't encourage behavior modification."

Me too.

And probably, you too.

Calvin represents our old man who wants to do whatever pleases him and get away with it.

But fortunately, when we become Christians, we have both the desire and the power to say no to that old man and let the new man take his place.

It's a process of choosing to "put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." ~ Ephesians 4:22-24 (a maxim to encourage behavior modification 😊)




Some fun insights from none other than Calvin and Hobbes - a mischievous little boy and his stuffed tiger. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible





2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these daily bites of encouragement. God has blessed you with incredible encouraging talent. I'm glad to include these in my daily routine and share them with people I know. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed..I have been fighting and losing,but I will eventually win the final battle..thanks

    ReplyDelete