The Sweetest Gifts - Sacrifice versus Wealth

The Sweetest Gifts - Sacrifice versus Wealth
In 1995, I celebrated my birthday in a country with a low standard of living. My husband and I were on a two month mission trip. 

One of the local Christians came to my birthday dinner and surprised me with a gift. When I unwrapped the small package, it contained a bar of soap, nothing special, just regular soap.

But that soap was one of the sweetest gifts I've ever received. Like the widow in Mark 12:41-44, my Bulgarian friend had given generously from his limited income. 

I kept that soap for several years as a reminder of true generosity.

Compared to most of the world, we Americans are rich. Our Christmas trees will be surrounded by gifts that many people throughout the world would never dream of owning. Yet most of us take this for granted and even complain that we don't have more.

Let's ask God to give us grateful hearts and a true understanding of our blessings.
copyright 2011, Gail Burton Purath 
 
If you liked this devotion, please sign up for a free subscription and have a 1-minute devotion like this delivered to your inbox each weekday.

Have 1-Minute Bible Love Notes delivered to your email box each weekday.


Enter your email address
The Sweetest Gifts - Sacrifice versus Wealth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...