An angry church member spreads a half-truth, an adult child blows something out of proportion, a stubborn neighbor refuses our valid explanation, a jealous co-worker exaggerates our mistake.
Most of us will be misunderstood or maligned at some point in our lives.
So what do we do when people refuse to hear the truth and believe the lie?
Psalm 62 talks of this situation (v.3-4) and offers this advice:
1. God Alone is our comfort and peace: "My soul finds rest in God alone" (v.1,5). Sometimes God allows these situations so we'll learn He is enough!
2. God Alone judges hearts. Men sometimes honor bad people and revile good people. Ultimately, honor depends on God, not man (v.7).
3. God Alone can be trusted. He is loving and strong (v.8-12).
4. God Alone gives perfect justice, rewarding faithfulness and punishing sin (v.11-12).
5. God Alone can use slander for our good (Romans 8:28).*
Our souls can find rest in God Alone!
*e.g. Joseph slandered by Potiphar's wife