Sometimes I allow it to take charge of my head and heart.
Not a good thing. Not a God thing.
It's not that I don't have reasons to be disappointed and even discouraged.
Paul said he was once so discouraged he felt he couldn't go on (2 Corinthians 1:8-10).
That's when he turned it all over to the Lord.
And went on.
And that's what we must do with self-pity.
Self-pity is self-focused, self-indulgent, self-pandering, self-destructive.
God calls us to:
- Forgive others (Matthew 6:14-15).
- Deny ourselves (Luke 9:23).
- Think of others (Philippians 2:3-4).
- Dwell on the positive (Philippians 4:8).
- Remember He's the God who uses bad for good (Romans 8:28).
- Remember He wants to comfort us in difficulty (2 Corinthians 1:3-7).
- Move on (Philippians 3:10-14).