Coaching

Discipleship, Coaching Christians
Before I started Bible Love Notes, a young Christian man coached me in the use of Facebook, teaching me technical and ministry aspects. 

Whenever one Christian "coaches" another, even in "secular" areas, it's a form of discipleship if done prayerfully and deliberately. 

When Barnabas ("Son of Encouragement")* coached Paul, the focus was obviously spiritual. In like manner, we might ask someone to help us build good quiet time habits or overcome an anger problem. 

But some coaching incorporates discipleship more subtly. For example, one Christian might coach another on keeping a tidy house or scheduling their priorities (Colossians 3:23-24).  

Do you need a coach in some area of your life? Could you be a coach? Ask God to connect your skills and your needs to other Christians and be deliberate about including the discipleship aspects in everything you learn/teach. 

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up ..." 
1 Thessalonians 5:11 
* Acts 4:36; 9:27; 11:22-25

6 comments:

  1. Hi Gail, yup, I need some coaching! I know i need to make better use of my time and on getting things done with discipline, not with need, eg ironing because EVERYTHING is in the washing basket! lol! Fortunately, the Lord is concerned with both the spiritual and practical sides of our lives. Great reminder for me Gail
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an area I also need to become more prioritized. : )
      Praying we both find coaches and get that process of "training" underway.
      Sometimes we can even be coached by books or articles. I need to do a 1-minute devo on that : )

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that you posted about coaching being a tool for the discipleship process.
    I love coaching, it has been very effective for those I have served.
    Please check out my page if you are interested. http://choosetotrust.com/coaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      The kind of coaching I'm talking about could be professional, paid coaching, but my emphasis here is more on community coaching within the Body of Christ where one person has a skill or has mastered a sin problem and wants to freely share it with another. This is something we can all afford and something we rarely think to do outside of the conventional Bible studies where one person shares their faith and understanding of Scripture.
      But if someone is paying for coaching it is wonderful to find a coach who is Christian and will flavor what they learn with Christian attitudes.
      God bless,
      Gail

      Delete
  3. Hmm...timely as I a major online issue right now that I haven't the technical knowledge. Seems like some coaching would be helpful. Liked this, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith. I think your blog is "discipleship coaching" in a number of areas : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...