Homesick

When we live according to 1 Peter 2:11-12, we get homesick for heaven. And that's a good thing. This 1-minute devotion explains.

In 2013, after nine weeks in Hungary doing Christian ministry, I was homesick. 

We lived in Budapest for 5 years, and I love it. It's a beautiful city and we have some wonderful friends there. 

I'm probably more comfortable than most people being away from home since I've lived in more than forty homes in the U.S. and Europe. 

But I still get homesick. 

And sometimes I get homesick for heaven too. There are wonderful things to enjoy here on earth, but I'm longing for a home where there's no sin, suffering, and confusion. Then I will be truly home with my true family and my Perfect Father. 

When we live according to 1 Peter 2:11-12, we get homesick for heaven. And that's a good thing. This 1-minute devotion explains.
Fond memories of this 2013 Budapest trip.

I believe God wants us to be homesick for heaven. 

When we understand that earth isn't our home, we have a different view of life and ministry, a different view of sacrifice and difficulty.

"Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2:11-12

When we live our lives as aliens and strangers, we bring glory to our Lord.

💙💙💙

I encourage you to read Not Home Yet. It will give you some wonderful truths to ponder.


When we live according to 1 Peter 2:11-12, we get homesick for heaven. And that's a good thing. This 1-minute devotion explains.

When we live according to 1 Peter 2:11-12, we get homesick for heaven. And that's a good thing. This 1-minute devotion explains.


7 comments:

  1. Yes and yes! There are days I am so homesick for heaven, a place where no sorrow ever comes. In the words of an old song, Won't it be wonderful there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many many times dear Gail, I have felt like I can't wait for the day that I will be in front of My Father. I will kiss his feet, and will praise His name. Although it seems as I enjoy life a lot, this world is so far from what satisfies my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with you Gail and the others. So looking forward to my Heavenly Home and meeting up with those gone before me. Oh blessed day that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, Gail, there are days when I get homesick for Heaven. Praying your remaining time in Budapest is a blessing that you will long remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm feeling homesick!! But it is good to keep my focus on God as I travel through this place. He helps me feel "at home" no matter where I am.

    ReplyDelete