A Great Cloud

Christian biographies, Christian mentoring, Hebrews 1:1
My 10-year-old granddaughter loves to read. 

When I discovered that she'd read one book 12 times, I did some research and was troubled by the message the book conveyed. 

So I ordered two books about the missionaries George Mueller and Gladys Aylward. It took her one day to read each book, and she decided she wants to be a missionary.

As you might imagine, I ordered the other 37 books in the series.

Like my little munchkin, I've been strongly influenced by Christian biographies and autobiographies. Before I was a believer, I read Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place, and it prepared my heart to receive Jesus. And since that time, I've read scores of biographies that have continued to shape my faith. 

I consider it a form of mentoring--one that's available even if you are traveling or have recently moved and don't have Christian friends to encourage you. 

These biographies serve as what Hebrews 12:1-2 calls "a great cloud of witnesses."

I'd love to have you leave a comment and tell me about a Christian biography that especially influenced you.

10 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing this. will get for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hiding Place was my first too!! I love the series you showed, just read the Eric Liddell title myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having good books is priceless. We love those biographies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another good reason for a Christian library, where materials were restricted for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read slow and so haven't read as many books as I would have liked. I love Isabella Kuhn books, she was a missionary to China. You might not have read 'Beyond the Ranges' as it is out of print. In order to buy it you have to pay extra for a vintage copy (or whatever it is called). It is well worth it as there is so much on prayer as he worked with the people in China. I also love to read Rosalind Gorforth's books about their missionary experiences in China. My favorite book of hers is 'Climbing' which is her side of the story instead of her husbands in which she shares her personal struggles and victories.

    Not every book I read is about China but I guess you see a trend here. Having grown up in Hong Kong, China was near (literally) and dear to my heart.

    I like the Hiding Place too...Oh and the biography about Joni Erickson Tada....should I go on?! LOL!!

    Thanks Gail for a wonderful inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love, "Christian Heroes, Then and Now"! Never knew there were so many of them! Oh the faith of those that have gone before us...there is nothing like it! Thanks for UNITING once again! ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid I loved being autobiographies. I read a kid's series but couldn't tell you what they were. I remember specifically reading about Clara Barton and Betsy Ross, for example.

    I read some of Corrie's books when I was an adult. I haven't read an autobiography for quite awhile actually. I will have to look into this series, never heard of them. I assume I look under ""Christian Heroes, Then and Now".

    Someday I will be a grandma and I'd love to have some things on hand for the grand kids too read or to read to them.

    Thanks so much for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love "The Hiding Place" too. Thanks for introducing these books to me. I was unfamiliar with them but am adding them to my pinterest board for my girls.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was never much on biographies when I was young, but my parents had the wisdom to stock me up with books like the Chronicles of Narnia and the Mandie series that they knew would capture my attention, make sure I was getting positive Christian messages. I am very thankful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember these books from when I was growing up! We read many of them - but Gladys Alyward and George Muller stood out to me the most. (Mostly Gladys Alyward - whom from that day I have looked to as my hero) What wonderful books. I need to get a set for my kids while we're in the States, because they are easy reading and wonderful tools for building a true sense of who "heroes" really are!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...