A Cleaning Principle that Applies to Our Spirits

My mother taught me a cleaning tip that has great application for our spiritual lives as well! #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions

My mother taught me a great cleaning tip: clean up the little messes so they don’t become big messes.

When I bake, I like to put away the ingredients and wipe the counters as I'm preparing. I like to clean out closets and cabinets several times a year. I like to clean my bathroom on a regular schedule so dirt doesn't build up.

I'd rather deal with little messes than big ones.

This tip works spiritually too:
  • Unkempt thoughts create cluttered rooms of depression and discouragement.
  • Little spills of bitterness lead to floors sticky with anger, hatred, and jealousy.
  • Small piles of dishonesty accumulate into closets stuffed with self-deception.
But cleaning up the little sins helps prevent big messy ones.

Typically, Luke 16:10 is used to encourage faithfulness in our service to God, but I think it also applies to sin: if we're faithful to deal with the small sins, we will be faithful to deal with the big ones. And perhaps dealing with the small sins will prevent the big ones.

Little things matter.

Some "Cleaning" Tips:

1. When you begin to feel pulled by worldly values:

James 4:8: "Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world."   

2. When you are tempted to sin, remember your hope in Christ:

1 John 3:3: "All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure."


My mother taught me a cleaning tip that has great application for our spiritual lives as well! #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions


Bible Love Notes

11 comments:

  1. I'm still learning this lesson. But I am learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put it in a beautiful, creative way! Loved it!
    I think many of us (ladies) can relate to cleanliness : )
    Thanks Gail

    Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need help with a big sin. When I was in my 20s I had an abortion. I have since deeply regretted my decision and have honestly asked God for forgiveness. I want to stand with everyone who values every life, especially those that don't have a voice. Even with what I've done is it right for me to stand for life? Would I be a hypocrit?

      Delete
    2. Dear Crafty Beader,
      No, you would not be a hypocrite. You would be a person who can speak from experience and share the regret abortion causes.

      I had a lovely young woman in one of my mentoring groups some years ago, and when she became a Christian, she asked God's forgiveness for two abortions she'd had. But she found herself struggling years later, and she sought out counseling for Post-Abortion-Syndrome. It helped her tremendously. This type of counseling is usually offered in churches or in pro-life centers and usually it's offered free of charge, and I encourage you to seek it out and find healing in Jesus. Just make sure it's Christian counseling.

      When we sincerely ask God for forgiveness, He forgives us, so you can rest assured in that forgiveness. And I think it is very fitting that you want to take a stand for life.

      God bless you!
      P.S. since I don't know you, let me add that if you have not asked Christ to be your Lord and Savior, please do that first. If you want any other information about that aspect of your journey, please let me know and I can give you some suggestions.

      Delete
  3. I pretty much do the same thing with my messes. I try and put out the little sparks before they become a big fire! I loved the analogies you used.

    We can let anger build and build and then we blow up and can hurt someone we love. Holding onto bitterness and anger only eats away and hurts US and keeps us in chains!

    Much better to communicate and also to forgive and forget when we need to.

    Thanks so much for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clean up the same way when I am cooking. It makes things so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good illustration, Gail. I like cleaning the little messes as I go as it keeps me from getting overwhelmed. In a similar way cleaning the little messes of my heart keeps me from being overwhelmed with sin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to tackle the little messes as they happen, too. so much easier than having to stop and take care of really big messes.

    We'd love for you to share your posts at our Finished Friday blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now this is an old post but I see why God bought me to it today. Having a awful neighbour who Satan uses to really wear us down I needed the spiritual tips today. I will keep them and write them on a card so I can be reminded of them every day. With a heart-felt thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to this message.
    What a supe analogy!
    I try to repent as things that I think, or do, or say as soon as I am aware.
    I also have gone way back to repent of things in my past.
    As they come to me, I deal with them before God.
    Some days I wonder how God could forgive me and I am in wonder at the great sacrifice Jesus made for us.
    It is still early in a new day and already I have had to adjust my attitude.
    I have a walk-in closet that I have been working on for awhile, so today I aim to finish. It got that way just as your Mom noted; I didn't take the minutes it should have taken of I would have put away things properly at the time. Now the minutes have become days.
    Great message as always!

    Blessings to you and yours and your ministry!
    Marilynn 👏👆🙌📖💞🙏

    ReplyDelete