The Patience of a Child

Some interesting thoughts about children, God, repetition, and boredom. I love the picture of God this 1-minute devotion shares. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

Small children aren't bored by repetition. They enjoy doing the same things over and over again. That's why my husband is one of our grandchildren's favorite adult playmates - he will play the same game with them for hours.

Most adults (myself included) find repetition necessary, but tedious.

I don't think God has this "adult attitude."

I imagine that He enjoys each sunrise and sunset, smiles at every newborn baby, savors the fragrance of each spring flower, and contentedly watches each wave splash against the shore.

Why do I think this? Because He shows such incredible patience in other areas. Every day He listens to millions of prayers, and He's dealt with the same human problems for thousands of years.

It boggles my mind to think how often He has forgiven, restored, rescued, delivered, and instructed each human being (Psalm 103:1-14)!

“The LORD…will not grow tired or weary… He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.” Isaiah 40:28-29

Today I'm thanking God for his repetitious grace and forgiveness for me. May I never grow tired of giving Him praise!

---------------------------------

Note: Some of my inspiration for this devotion came from this quote: “Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again'; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.” ― G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.



Some interesting thoughts about Children, God, repetition, and boredom. I love the picture of God this 1-minute devotion shares. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible



Bible Love Notes

12 comments:

  1. Me too Gail! Praise the Lord, His grace and Mercy is renewed each day to us! What a gracious, patient caring God we have! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random acts of greatness pale in comparison to habitual acts of faithfulness. -Ann Voskamp
    Been trying lately to see those daily mundane tasks as acts of worship because they are done unto Him, and are also a reflection of His character as I pursue simply being faithful. Thanks Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those God posts that come EXACTLY when you need it! Thanks for letting Him speak through you & for linking once again with UNITE! Always love coming here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I'm thanking God for his repetitious grace and forgiveness despite my repetitious stubbornness.

    Ha! Love it!
    That is one of my favorite quotes (and books) as well! He did it AGAIN! Made the sun rise, woke me up, woke up my babies, gave us daily bread!
    God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need that don't we! thanks for linking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how lovely! I just yesterday had a conversation about this very topic- how it's such a struggle to accept monotony and embrace God in it. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reality is wonderful - I like the way you have posted the biblical affirmation of Chesterton's paradoxical rendition. Thank God He doesn't weary of our sins and follies, and the monotony of us asking forgiveness over and over and over....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that image of God delighting in the creation of each and every daisy is so powerful. And I have the nerve to call doing dishes boring. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the picture of the great Almighty God being younger than us because of sin. That's profound thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so relevant to the past year and foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete