God's Broken Heart or Mine?

caring more about what breaks God's heart than what breaks mine, Joseph, Daniel, Paul
“A sign of maturity is when we care more about the things that break the heart of God than the things that break our heart.” Jill Briscoe
  • Joseph’s heart was broken by the cruelty of his own brothers and years of injustice.
  • Daniel’s heart was broken by loss of his homeland and freedom.
  • Paul’s heart was broken by repeated beatings and slander.
These men had feelings just like we do. They wept. They suffered. 

But they were more concerned with God’s broken heart than their own.

I admit I don’t have this kind of maturity. I suffer more over the things that break my heart than the things that break God’s.  

But brokenness is meant to make us mature and God-focused, not disabled and self-focused.

I'm praying that I will genuinely care more for God's broken heart than my own. Can I pray this for you too?



To subscribe to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes, Click Mug:




To read about an American Christian who chose God's heart over his own, read: How to Overcome Evil.


10 comments:

  1. Gail, you once again spoke to my "broken" heart today. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful wisdom! Hope that the last bit of your week is going good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray that God will fill your heart with His truth, just as I am praying He will for me. Bless you, Gail

      Delete
  2. Hi Gail, this is my goal too.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not there yet either, but I learning to become upset over the things that break God's heart. It's not always easy. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Gail, for allowing God to speaking through you. In answer to your last question, yes, please pray this for me, too. Grateful for your friendship and partnership in the Gospel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! This is what I need to tell myself and others in love but also truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good post again, Gail! Yes, you can pray this for me too as I am like you, more broken over my own problems than what breaks God's heart. Actually, I like the whole subject of 'brokennesss' and have thought about it quite a bit...when we are broken over the lost, it gets our eyes off ourSELF!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always look forward to reading your devotionals. This is so true - I long to have that kind of maturity as well. I have a long, long way to go before I get there. I am so thankful that God is patient with me while I sometimes get a broken heart over stuff that doesn't matter so much, while failing to have a broken heart over what truly matters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you get that these men were more concerned for Gods broken heart than their own? NOT being critical at all! Just trying to better understand that statement. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ericka,
      All of these men I mentioned acted in ways that are contrary to our human nature. They chose to do hard things for the sake of God.

      Joseph forgave his brothers and did His best no what circumstances he found himself in because he was aware of God's sovereignty and He knew that God could use bad things for His good (Genesis 50:20).

      Daniel was willing to be thrown into the lion's den instead of bowing to other gods.

      Paul was willing to live a life of hardship, insult and mistreatment for the sake of the Gospel.

      All of these men chose to live for God's purposes, not their own.
      They did it because they were concerned with His purposes more than their own comforts.

      God's heart breaks because of sin and unbelief, and these men made it their purpose to do the right thing and worship only God and share His truths accurately.

      I hope that helps answer your question.
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...