Psalm 26:2: Examine My Heart


This short devotion highlights Psalm 26:2 with a variety of translations and creative journaling.


Hi! I'm Gail and I write 1-minute devotions for Bible Love Notes. Because creative journaling has enhanced my quiet time, I'm writing some journaling posts that don't go out to my regular subscribers.

Sometimes I like to look at a verse in several different versions to get a fuller understanding of it. 

This short devotion highlights Psalm 26:2 with a variety of translations and creative journaling.
The KJV really threw me at first. The Hebrew word used in this passage can be defined literally as "kidneys" or "reins," but the same Hebrew word is sometimes used figuratively to mean the mind.

The other translations chose its figurative use since the sentence also includes "heart."

I thought the NLT put an interesting twist on "test me" by saying "Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me"

Psalm 26:2:
♥ Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind (NIV)
♥ Put me on trial, LORD, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and my heart. (NLT)
♥ Prove me, O LORD, and try me; test my heart and my mind (ESV)
♥ Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.(KJV)

Creative Tips:  In some cases, the images I use do not specifically match something in the verse (e.g. the flower), but while I am drawing, I ponder the meaning of the passage.

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness!! I am one of you long time subscribers/followers and I absolutely love that you are sharing your creative journaling! I just came across it this evening (I have not been active online much for awhile or I would probably seen it sooner lol) I have been a huge fan of Bible love notes, bible art journaling, faith art planners, creative worship, and any & all artistic styles of worship since the moment I learned of em.
    You do such lovely art Thanks for sharing this with us as well! You are definitely a huge help to many and are

    ReplyDelete